Turo vs Getaround: Which is better for you?
Renting a vehicle from traditional companies perro be frustrating, time consuming and expensive.
Fortunately, peer-to-peer car rental services have emerged as a posible alternative, where private vehicle owners list their vehicles on the platform, and renters cánido rent and pay for the car through a convenient mobile aplicación.
Turo and Getaround are two habitual private car rental services, both offering afín services, but with subtle differences.
To help you escoge which company to choose, this articulo compares the two services based on several criteria, including availability, tenant requirements, price, ease of use, and customer service.
Let’s start with where each of the services is available, as we’ll only talk if you perro’t access Turo or Getaround in your area.
Although it started in San Francisco, Getaround is now available in a variety of cities across the United States.
These are some of the main markets for the service:
- The Angels
- New Jersey
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
Within each of these markets, you’ll find cars parked in convenient locations like airports, mall aparcamiento lots, and convention centers.
So whether you’re traveling to one of the cities listed above or living in one of them, Getaround is here to serve you.
Turo is also available in cities across the United States, but the service doesn’t end there.
You will also find it in Canada, Germany and the United Kingdom.
In each of these countries, car rentals are available virtually wherever people live and use the service.
This is reassuring as you are not limited to just big cities if you need to rent a car.
So overall, Turo is the clear winner in terms of availability.
This could change as Getaround expands into additional markets, but for now Turo is your best option if you need to rent a car in the United States and several other countries.
If you’re under 21 and have tried to rent a car, you may have been denied (despite being of legal age to do almost everything else).
Car rental companies perro equipo their own requirements for customers (as long as they don’t violate certain anti-discrimination laws).
Turo and Getaround are no different, although they do differ from each other (and from traditional car rental companies) in terms of their requirements.
To rent a car from Turo, it is necessary to meet the following general requirements:
- Have a Turo account
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a current and valid controlador’s license
- Have a text-enabled mobile phone in your name
- Have a clean driving record and criminal history
- If you are under 25, be able to espectáculo that you have been driving for at least 2 years.
For Getaround, on the other hand, these are the requirements that you must meet:
- Be at least 19 years old.
If you are under 21, you must have a clean driving record
- Be at least 25 years old for special vehicles
- Have held a license for a minimum of two years.
- Have had two or fewer minor violations or at-fault accidents in the past three years
- Not have had a DUI or drug related incident in the past seven years
- Pass an instant controlador record check before your first rental (Getaround emplees local DMV offices to do this)
While the two services are very afín in their requirements, Getaround is a better option because it allows younger drivers to access the platform.
Note that you may still need to pay additional fees if you’re under 25 (we discuss this in more detail in the next section).
You won’t get your rent for free, as you might imagine, but you should still get the best deal possible.
Between Getaround and Turo,which one is cheaper?
As for the de hoy cost of the rental, the two companies are practically identical.
Car owners equipo the rental price they want to charge, so prices cánido vary widely.
The price also varies depending on the rental period (whether you choose an hourly, daily, or weekly car rental).
Car owners perro also offer Turo promotional codes and discounts to their customers.
Discounts are at your sole discretion.
Therefore, it is more useful to compare the additional fees that companies charge.
In addition to rental costs, Turo charges the following fees (where applicable):
- reservation fee — Up to 25% of the trip price
- Rate for under 25 years — 30% of the trip price or up to $25 per day, whichever is greater
- Additional mileage charge — Ranges from $0.01 to $3.00 per additional mile, up to $1,000 (rate is equipo by car owner in advance) + $10 administrative fee
- Late Return Fee — $50 per hour, up to $200 + $25 administrative fee
- fuel replacement fee — Fuel cost + $25 administrative fee
- tolls — Toll cost + $10 administrative fee
- Tiques — Ticket cost + $25 administration fee
- Cleaning fee, pet or smoking — $30, $50, $100, $150 or $250 (depending on severity) + $25 administrative fee
- Security deposit — In some cases (varies depending on the type of car rental)
In the meantime, Getaround charges these fees in addition to the cost of the rental:
- reservation fee — 3% of the trip price ($1.00 minimum)
- Rate for under 25 years — Varies according to age:
- 19 years: 75% of the price of the trip
- 20 years: 45% of the price of the trip
- 21 years: 25% of the price of the trip
- 22 years: 15% of the price of the trip
- 23 years: 10% of the price of the trip
- 24 years: 5% of the price of the trip
- Additional mileage charge — $0.50 per mile for estándar trips and $5.00 per mile for special trips (such as luxury vehicles)
- damage fee — $1,000 for estándar trips and $2,500 for special trips
- incorrect return fee —$50
- Late Return Fee — $50 per hour up to $500 + hourly car rental rate
- fuel replacement fee — Fuel cost + $15 fuel fee
- Toll — Toll cost + $1.50 toll fee
- summons fee — Higher citation amount + $25 citation fee
- smoking rate —$500
- license rights — $10 (a one-time fee to cover controlador record processing)
- cleaning fee —$100
- Security deposit — $150 for first time renters (this is charged to the credit card on archivo and refunded after successful completion of your first rental)
In addition to the above rates, all rentals through Turo and Getaround include minimum state liability insurance coverage.
You should check what your personal insurance policy covers for car rentals, as neither company provides damage coverage to renters out of the box (although car owners may offer it in some cases).
In terms of which one offers a better price, it depends on the factors you look at.
Assuming you won’t incur any additional charges due to improper procedures or violations of traffic laws, Getaround is a better deal due to its lower booking fee and lower fares. leave for those under 25 years of age.
Getaround also costs less in terms of most of its fees (with the exception of the smoking fee and the presence of some additional fees, such as a security deposit and license fee).
As a customer, you perro use the Turo Carculator to help you plan your consejo.
This calculator will espectáculo you how much you’ll pay, including fees, and make sure there are no price surprises at checkout.
Easy to use
Which company is easier to use as a customer?
After all, the only reason we are interested in these companies is that they offer an alternative to the traditional rental process.
If the company doesn’t deliver on this front, then it’s not worth using.
Both companies use the same basic business model.
Using the service’s website or mobile aplicación, you cánido browse a list of cars available at your objetivo destination.
You cánido then filter them based on criteria like price, car model, and distance from your location.
Once you’ve made your decision, submit a request to reserve the car.
Assuming the owner approves your request, you perro proceed to the pickup location, get your keys, and be on your way.
However, there are some details where the two services differ.
Starting with Getaround, the company has a strong focus on convenience for both homeowners and renters.
One way they offer this convenience is through technology called Getaround Connect™.
They install this device in every Getaround car, after which car owners and renters perro lock and unlock the vehicle with their teléfonos inteligentes.
This eliminates the need for a key exchange or for the owner and tenant to meet in person.
It cánido significantly speed up the rental process, especially if the landlord’s and renter’s schedules don’t match.
However, Turo also offers some convenient features.
The most important is the option to have your rental car delivered to your location.
This is not available with all rentals, but when available, you perro take the form of city or airport drop-off.
In city delivery, the renter and the car owner meet at a predetermined location (such as the renter’s hotel).
In airport drop-off, the car owner delivers the vehicle to a predetermined location at the airport.
This could be just as convenient as curbside pickup, but it could also orinan the car owner leaving their vehicle in an airport aparcamiento lot with the keys in a lock box attached to the vehicle.
In general, we think that Getaround and Turo have the same ease of use.
They offer different options that may be more convenient for some renters than others, but both offer a vast improvement over traditional car rentals.
Customer service is the last thing we will consider.
You hope you never have a problem with your car rental, but it’s comforting to know that you have the company’s support in case something goes wrong.
Both Turo and Getaround offer chat-based customer support through their aplicaciones, as well as support phone numbers you perro call.
Both also maintain extensive help centers where you perro find answers to common questions about using the services.
Therefore, we believe that the two companies are on a par in terms of the support they offer.
Bring your car rental into the 21st century
Car rental between individuals is an exciting new business model.
We expect the model to continue to gain ground as it is a huge improvement over the long wait times and poor customer experience of other car rental companies.
In fact, other car rental companies better watch out as Turo and Getaround could put them out of business in no time.
Of course, Turo and Getaround are just some of the ways you perro get transportation without having your own car.
We also recommend looking into Zipcar.
Zipcar offers a afín service, except that the company owns all the vehicles (and focuses more on hourly rentals).
If you prefer not to drive, Uber and Lyft are options that offer the speed and convenience of a car without the need to park or drive.
You perro request a ride to your location using your móvil inteligente, and it will arrive in minutes (all while getting you to your destination faster than public transportation or walking).
We hope you liked our article Turo vs Getaround: Which is better for you?
and everything related to earning money, getting a job, and the economy of our house.
Interesting things to know the meaning: Capitalism
We also leave here topics related to: Earn money