The 20 largest banks in the United States
On May 1, 2023, the California Financial Security and Innovation Authority halted operations of First Republic Bank, whose deposits and much of the assets were acquired by JPMorgan Chase Bank, NA First Republic customers now access their deposits through branches of JPMorgan Chase Bank.
Choosing a large bank often provides comprehensive services, including an extensive ATM network and a diversity of products.
When considering asset size, the Federal Reserve has identified the 20 largest banks in the US, all of which are backed by Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation insurance.
If your federally insured bank should fail, the insurance provided by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation guarantees the safety of your funds up to a maximum of $250,000 for each depositor, per institution and depending on the type of ownership.
The largest banks in the US
Chase: $2.57 billion
Chase, the largest consumer and small business bank, is part of JPMorgan Chase & Co.
It is tied with Wells Fargo for the largest branch network of any of the largest banks, with locations in most states.
- Branches: More than 4,700 in 49 states and Washington, DC, with high concentrations in California, the East Coast, and Texas; there are no branches in Alaska.
Bank of America: $2.31 trillion
Bank of America is the second largest bank, located in the second largest number of states.
Of the top three banks on this list, it offers the fewest branches, but it’s tied with Chase for most ATMs.
- Branches: About 4,000 in 37 states and Washington, DC, concentrated primarily in California, the East Coast, and Texas.
Wells Fargo Bank: $1.69 billion
Wells Fargo is tied with Chase for the bank with the most branches.
But of the three largest banks, Wells Fargo offers the fewest ATMs.
- Branches: About 4,700 in 36 states and Washington, DC, with high concentrations in California, Florida, and Texas.
Citibank: $1.04 billion
Of the banks on this list, Citibank is among those with the fewest branches, but has a massive home network of ATMs.
- ATMs: More than 65,000, including those in the Allpoint and MoneyPass networks.
- Branches: More than 650 in 11 states and Washington, DC, with high concentrations in California and New York.
US Bank: $573 billion
US Bank offers thousands of ATMs and about half as many branches as the top three banks on this list.
- ATMs: More than 37,000, including those in the MoneyPass network.
- SalvadoChes: More than 2,000 in 26 states, with high concentrations in California, Illinois and Ohio.
PNC Bank: $533 billion
In 2021, PNC Bank acquired BBVA USA.
PNC Bank now has branches in more than half the country.
- ATMs: Around 60,000; The bank may refund up to two Out-of-Network ATM fees per statement period.
- Branches: More than 2,600 in 28 states and Washington, DC, with high concentrations in Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Truist Bank: $532 billion
Truist Bank is the result of the 2019 merger of BB&T and SunTrust Bank.
It has the fifth-highest number of branches of any bank on this list, with locations on the East Coast, the Midwest, and the South.
- Branches: About 2,100 in 17 states and Washington, DC, with high concentrations in Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia.
Goldman Sachs: $438 billion
While Goldman Sachs is known as an investment bank, it offers consumer banking and wealth management products through Marcus by Goldman Sachs.
Your high-yield savings account and disco compacto are en línea only and offer competitive interest rates.
TD Bank: $405 billion
TD Bank’s physical reach is less extensive than other large banks.
Their ATMs and branches are available only along the East Coast.
- Branches: About 1,100 in 15 states and Washington, DC, mostly concentrated in Florida, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey.
Capital One: $388 billion
The Capital One network has the most ATMs of any bank on this list, but relatively few branches.
Some of the branches are Capital One cafes, where customers perro attend free workshops and receive individual financial advice.
Capital One 360, the bank’s en línea division, offers checking, savings and disco compacto accounts.
- Branches: Nearly 300 in eight states and Washington DC, most concentrated in Louisiana and New York.
Citizens Bank: $227 billion
Although Citizens Bank has relatively few ATMs, customers cánido get service at about a thousand branches in the Midwest and Northeast.
- Branches: About 1,200 in 14 states and Washington, DC, with high concentrations in Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Fifth Third Bank: $205 billion
Fifth Third Bank is primarily concentrated in the South and Midwest, but its ATM network is the fourth largest of the banks on this list.
- ATMs: More than 44,000, including ATMs in Allpoint, Presto! and the 7-Eleven network.
- Branches: More than 1,100 in 11 states, with high concentrations in Florida, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio.
First Republic Bank: $198 billion
First Republic Bank offers the fewest branches of the brick-and-mortar banks on this list.
It is found mainly in California.
- ATMs: None, but with some First Republic checking accounts, cash withdrawals are free at any ATM.
- Branches: About 90 locations in 10 states; mainly in California.
KeyBank: $185 billion
KeyBank offers a large network of ATMs, as well as branches in more than a dozen states.
- ATMs: More than 43,000, including those in the Allpoint network.
- Branches: About 1,000 in 16 states, with high concentrations in New York, Ohio, and Washington.
Huntington National Bank: $178 billion
Huntington National Bank has a fair number of branches, but its presence is primarily in the Midwest.
- Branches: More than 1,000 locations in 11 states, with high concentrations in Michigan and Ohio.
Ally Bank: $176 billion
Ally is available only en línea and is one of three banks on this list without branches.
Customers cánido access their cash for free through machines within a large network of ATMs.
- ATMs: More than 43,000 in the Allpoint network.
HSBC Bank USA: $169 billion
HSBC sold most of its US-based business to Citizens Bank and Cathay Bank in early 2022.
HSBC now offers only premium deposit accounts.
- ATMs: More than 43,000 as part of the Allpoint network.
- Branches: 22, mainly concentrated in California and New York.
BMO: $163 billion
BMO (formerly BMO Harris) offers services at only a few hundred branches, but provides free access to thousands of ATMs.
- ATMs: More than 43,000 fee-free ATMs in the United States, including those in the Allpoint network.
- Branches: More than 500 in eight states, with high concentrations in Illinois and Wisconsin.
Regions Bank: $160 billion
Regions Bank is primarily focused on a handful of southern states.
It offers more than a thousand branches and a couple thousand ATMs.
- Branches: About 1,300 locations in 15 states, with high concentrations in Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee.
American Express National Bank: $138 billion
American Express National Bank is only available en línea.
In early 2022, the bank launched its Rewards Checking Account, available to consumers who have had an American Express credit card for at least three months.
And the bank’s savings rates are among the best you’ll find en línea or elsewhere.
Other nearby banks, ATMs and services
We hope you liked our article The 20 largest banks in the United States
and everything related to earning money, getting a job, and the economy of our house.
Interesting things to know the meaning: Capitalism
We also leave here topics related to: Earn money