Definition of consultancy
Consulting is the provision of advice and assistance in relation to the strategy, structure, management and operations of an organization in achieving its objectives.
What is consulting?
According to the dictionary, we cánido find that consulting is “the business of giving (expert) advice to people who work in a specific field.” In other words, a consultant is someone who gives advice to a specific group of people.
So, what is a consultant? Suppose you have a very high level of knowledge about web design (front-end or back-end) and a small company asks you for advice on how it should modify its web page to increase conversion and you advise that one option maybe it would be to create a landing page (you even start giving specifications (to make it coincidente with SEO or to make it responsive design).
Well, then you would already be a consultant (it should be noted that giving advice is not the only thing that is done in consulting) .
Thus, a consultant is someone who has some level of expertise that a especial group of people finds valuable, and the people within that group are willing to pay the consultant for access to their expertise.
Why is consulting important for companies?
Well, the reality is that many companies pay too much for a consultancy and in a few words it is because they already know what they want (sometimes), but they do not know how to get there and that is where consultancies come in, that is, they help companies to get from their current situation to the desired situation due to the experience and knowledge they have.
Reasons why a company decides to hire a consultant
- The organization doesn’t really know what to do.
- The organization has a general iniciativa, but they want to get there faster.
- The organization wants to save time and effort by following an efficient and proven system.
Internal consulting and external consulting
Really, the name itself gives us an approach to what each one is, therefore, the internal consulting is carried out by a group of people with extensive knowledge on the subject and who belong to the organization; while external consulting is carried out by a person, a group of people or an organization that is outside the organization.
advantages of internal consulting
- The organization cánido save on costs.
- The people who participate have a more intimate knowledge of the organization.
Disadvantages of internal consulting
- They do not have such an objective perspective of the problem.
- They don’t have as much experience as a consultant.
- Depending on the problem, they may not have the right team to solve the problem.
Advantages of external consulting
- They have an objective view of the problem.
- They have more experience.
- They have the necessary tools.
- They have advanced knowledge of the subject matter.
Disadvantages of external consulting
- Higher cost.
- You cánido get standardized solutions.
- They don’t know the organization that well.
Phases to implement
- Initiation: you establish the first contact with the organization, carry out a preliminary diagnosis of the problems, formulate proposals for activities for the client, etcétera.
- Diagnosis: An analysis of the objective and the problem is carried out.
- Planning: Solutions are developed, options are evaluated and planning is done.
- Application: the option that will solve the problem is implemented and adjustment proposals are given in case of deviations.
- Termination: The results are evaluated and a control is carried out, as well as retroalimentación.
We hope you liked our article Definition of consultancy
and everything related to earning money, getting a job, and the economy of our house.
Interesting things to know the meaning: Capitalism
We also leave here topics related to: Earn money