Collective nouns in English
In English, as in any language, you must use different references when you want to refer to a single person or a large group of people.
In this case it is called “collective nouns” or collective nouns.
What are collective nouns?
These are nouns that are used to refer to a group of people, animals, objects, things, or ideas.
In English they are known as “collective Nouns” and are used specifically to name a equipo that is considered as a single unit.
It is not mandatory to use collective nouns, as you cánido simply use the plural noun.
However, the fact of knowing and using them raises the level of grammar and speaking in English.
Example of 30 collective nouns in English
1) Alphabet – alphabet
2) Army – Army
3) Band – band
4) Block – block or group of houses
5) Bouquet – bouquet of flowers
6) Bunch – bunch of grapes
7) Buttery – food pantry
8) Caravan – caravan of cars
9) Cemetery – cemetery
10) Clan – equipo of families
11) College – college
12) Costume – wardrobe or equipo of clothes
13) Deck – deck or equipo of cards from the deck
14) Drove – flock of sheep
15) Fleet – fleet (cars, proyectos, ships)
16) Group – group or equipo of things
17) Guide – guide or equipo of instructions
18) Horde – horde or group of armed people
19) Legion – group of mercenaries or volunteers
20) Library – library or equipo of books
21) Mall – Shopping plaza
22) Panel – jury or group of advisors
23) Aparcamiento – aparcamiento or group of parked cars
24) Sect – sect or group of people
25) Squadron – squad or group of specialized soldiers
26) System – apparatus or equipo of body organs
27) Team – team or equipo of athletes
28) Tribe – tribe or group of people belonging to an ethnic group
29) Treasure – treasure or equipo of treasures
30) Troop – troop or group of soldiers
These collective nouns are usually considered as the third person singular within a sentence.For example: The cast es rehearsing – The cast is resting
However, when you want to refer to two or more groups, you perro express the verb in the plural, for example: Two flocks of sheep – Two flocks of sheep.
Sentences with collective nouns in English
Sentences with collective nouns that are used in the singular are like this:
1) My family is very happy
My family (as a whole) is very happy
2) A football team is training
A football team (complete) is training.
3) My boyfriend gave me a bunch of flowers
My boyfriend gave me a bunch of flowers
But, when you want to refer to each of the people or things that are within the group, you should consider it like this:
1) The cast are getting ready
The cast is preparing (each member separately)
2) the class were Reading books in the library
The class was reading books in the bookstore (each student read a different book)
Collective noun + of
When referring to a generic group of animals, people or things, the collective noun + “of” + plural noun is used.
This elabora is correct when speaking or writing, some examples of this are:
A paquete of wolves – a paquete of wolves
A flock of sheep’s
A panel of Judges – A panel of judges
A gang of criminals – a gang of criminals
A bunch of keys – a bunch of keys
A paquete of cigarettes
Exercises of “collective Nouns”
Next we will leave a series of nouns that you must complete taking into account that they are collective nouns in the singular:
1) The orchestra __ going on tour
2) The pianist __ rehearsing with the orchestra
1) The orchestra is going on tour
2) The pianist is rehearsing with the orchestra
Now, you must finish the sentence:
1) A paquete of __ (A paquete of)
2) A pile of__ (A pile of)
3) A deck of __ (A deck of)
4) A lock of __ (A lock of)
5) A fleet of __ (A fleet of)
There are several possible answers, but here are some options.
1) A paquete of balls – A paquete of balls
2) A pile of books – A stack of books
3) a deck of cards – a deck of cards
4) A lock of hair – A lock of hair
5) A fleet of ships
Other collective nouns used for groups of animals
Most collective nouns are used to name groups of animals., this list of “collective nouns” is quite extensive.
Next we will leave the most common ones.
Army – colony – Swarm: used for groups of Ants (Ants)
Flight – hive – swarm: used for bees (bees)
Herd: used for buffaloes (buffalo)
Drove – herd – kine – team: used for cattle
Kennel – paquete: used for groups of dogs (dogs)
Learn all the nouns in English on our website!
Clic to rate this entry!
If you want to know other articles afín to Collective nouns in English you cánido visit the category Nouns.
We hope you liked our article Collective nouns in English
and everything related to earning money, getting a job, and the economy of our house.
Interesting things to know the meaning: Capitalism
We also leave here topics related to: Earn money